Wednesday, May 2, 2018

shall i light my insides afire and smoke the devil out? or let him gnaw so quietly on the bile in my gut?



if only my carapace would contain me. shall i drift away then, leave only raw cavity shrouded in dark? there are no lights inside. if we barricade the entrances, seal the exits. retreat softly to the interior, the caves of the deep. will we be safe then. will we.

iggy with his big soft eyes looks at me and wags his tail. he is horse-sized and gentle but can bowl me over with one excited chestnut leap. walking him in the gloaming with fireflies and sweet grass smells and my heart surges with a foreignness i could only call hope. in shame i am relieved when it passes and my steps trudge again.

i need space inside my shell. how do i explain? like furniture with empty drawers, like clear tables, bookshelves stacked one deep. space to turn around in. i need to shrink, to fold up in small corners. to get as far from the outside as possible. an intra-exoskeleton retreat.



i am finding it hard to find words. they're in there. they're stuck in the stagnant cluttered muck inside me. i cannot extract them whole. i don't know how to clear it up in here. i know i've gotten vague and melodramatic but i cannot apologise. it's all i've got. 

if only there were a way to keep everyone from looking when i move through the world. asked yesterday by a concentration camp survivor, what's wrong with you, don't you eat? and while i was strangely flattered, still. too ashamed to have been actually seen.

sometimes we are seen but not seen enough. not seen correctly. for all our guises some see through. for all our honesty some don't see. and where does that leave us, the self-less, the empty? transparent gut, opaque limbs gesticulating in space. evasive, camouflaged brain, inscrutable face. we have ten thousand cloaking devices but none of them match. and for it we are all the more conspicuous.


No comments:

Post a Comment